Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

On Memorial Day we went into Elmira to see the parade. Pop-Pop was in it, so that was very exciting. We then stayed for the service at the National Cemetery where Pop-Pop participated in the gun salute and Uncle Doug sang in the choir. The girls had a hard time sitting still for so long, so we ended up walking through some of the cemetery. Soldiers from the 1800s are buried there. There are even some confederates buried there- they had been held as POWs in a local prison but then all died (mostly from disease and malnourishment I believe) and so were buried there close by.

Pop-Pop & Lexi

National Cemetery
This was my attempt at an artistic photo.


I love parades! They make me cry with joy and pride and patriotism!


And who doesn't love a good bagpipe rendering of the Marine Corps anthem? SEMPER FI!




Thank you to all the men and women who have served and are serving and will serve our country. And to their families for sharing them with, and for, the rest of us.

1 comment:

LMT said...

Beautiful photos! I especially love the portrait of the Caterpillar. I am the same way when it comes to patriotic parades and the men in uniform, the old veterans especially. So grateful for their service and our country.