Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Eve


I've always wanted to venture to the Upper West Side on the night before Thanksgiving to see the big balloons that will fly in the parade being inflated. So this year we did it. We rode the C train down to 81st street and the moment we exited the station we were corralled like cattle. But it was awesome! We strolled down 81st street and saw these balloons (they were held down with sandbags and netting):

This photo has Matt with Lexi on his shoulders:



Followed by a break for dinner at the Shake Shack where Ella thoroughly enjoyed some ketchup:

And then more balloons down 77th Street where the press of people was so intense, we felt like sardines and were only able to move via the wave of people moving around us. Kind of scary, actually, but since we weren't trampled, we can sort of laugh about it.

6 comments:

just jen said...

sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go out and do things with your kids, right?

this sounds like it was an awesome experience...what fun to see all those balloons up close.

and that shake shack...i really need to get some.

Kaylinn said...

Kendra-this look like so much fun! I love that you got to go. I've always wanted to do the Thanksgiving Day parade thing, but I'm sort of afraid of the crowds. Eeek. :) and your family pictures are BEAUTIFUL! Love that too.

Andrea said...

The first year I was in the city my Dad came for Thanksgiving and we went to see this. It was cool! Glad you checked it out! :0

Eddie said...

Love your blog. Glad the family had a wonderful time out.
Makes us miss NYC sooooo much.

The Giles said...

Sounds fun. Somethings you can't get anywhere but NYC. Sigh...

Mandy said...

We watch the parade every year! I am so jealous you were able to see the balloons in person! We will have to do that one year!