On Veteran's Day we traveled to the Greenburgh Nature Center in Scarsdale. Even though I lived in Scarsdale for several years when I was a kid, I don't remember ever going to the Nature Center. Alexis and Ella really loved it. They have a manor house that has a few exhibits and also a whole little animal petting area upstairs. One of the employees was on hand to take out any of the animals that you'd like to see and touch up close. The kids got to pet a chinchilla, a ferret, a tortoise (who also roamed around on the floor for awhile), a corn snake, a tree frog, and some lizards.





In this video clip, the employee taunts one of the lizards so that his frill sticks up:
The wooded areas on the Nature Center property gave us the chance to have our very first family hike. We definitely enjoy outdoorsy activities, but living life in the big city doesn't always provide opportunities to do those sorts of things. The weather was gorgeous- the sun was shining, and although the temperature was only in the 40s, it wasn't windy and made for a beautiful fall hike. The girls loved to hear the leaves crunching under their feet. This was certainly an enormous amount of leaves for their eyes to see all in one place!






Many years ago, my grandfather took a photo of me on a hike in my winter coat with a walking stick in hand. I tried to sort of re-create that moment here. What do you think, Pop?
2 comments:
I love these pictures. I love fall so much! I would have been so tempted to steal one of those tree stump chair and ottoman sets! So cool!
My kids would have just loved going to that Nature Center! How fun and way to keep the kids busy on those days off from school!
Post a Comment