Sunday, October 05, 2008

Read for the Record Report

On Thursday, October 2, 2008, I headed over to Lexi's class at school to particpate in Read For The Record. I read the class Corduroy and I have never seen 18 4-year-olds so quiet and attentive! After we read the story we talked about all the new things Corduroy had done and seen while he was searching for his button. He climbed a *mountain* (aka the escalator), he entered a *palace* (aka the home section of the department store), he slept in a bed, he made a friend, and he found a real home. Then the kids each got a little button (made out of paper) and got to draw a picture of something they have always wanted to do or be or somewhere they've always wanted to go. I admit, it was a tough concept for some of the kids to grasp- coming up with something they've "always wanted to do." But it was fine. When they had finished decorating their buttons we gathered on the carpet again and I had each one stand in front and tell his/her classmates what they had drawn- what hopes & dreams they have, if you will. I drew that big Corduroy beforehand, and then each child taped their button to Corduroy's overalls.

At one point during the activity I called on "Lexi". Not just one, but two or three of the other kids yelled out, "Her name is ALEXIS." I guess she's Alexis at school. Wonder if she'll always want to be called that?

From left to right: Back row: Khianna, Kyrsa, Alma, Dorian, Edu, Alexis, me, Gianna, Justin, Amiel and Luciana
Front row: John, Alejandro, Danny, ??, Victoria and Elyse

Ella loves to sit in the little seats at the little tables in Lexi's class- here she is ready to draw:

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Brilliant lesson for the kiddos, Kendra. Love that Corduroy!