Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Death Cab Report





I'm deferring this post to Matt. Because although I thoroughly enjoyed the concert, I'm not a specialist in critiquing music etc. But he is. An extra special HUGE thanks to That Redheaded Chick for hooking us up with the tickets.

Matt's turn- Yes, thank you to the Redhead. Warning to all, this post will probably bore the vast majority of you since I am at the helm. I think Kendra has deferred to me because generally I am the one with the strong musical opinions. I, like Kendra, thoroughly enjoyed the show. Great locale, hot date, and a band ready to rock is always a good thing. Radio City in all of its art deco splendor really is a fantastic venue- there is a little bit of an awe factor involved just walking in. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of production. Those familiar with Death Cab know that their albums have a precise, pristine quality that would never be confused with say an analog recording with everyone in the same room playing. Think, we just cut this record on a computer with one guy doing most of the work- even though that is not how they do it. That said, these guys played and sounded like a rock band. Benjamin Gibbard's (the band's singer/guitarist/keyboardist and I suppose primary songwriter) voice sounded exactly the same as on record. No studio tricks. The band also played with much more rock and roll abandon (their records seem to be moving this way as well), which was right up my alley. Side note for any guitarists: both guitar players get kudos for plugging into Dr. Z cabinets with what appeared to be Dr. Z and custom heads (Dr. Z is one of the finest boutique amp makers specializing in AC-30 style flame throwers- I hope to own one someday). It was just great to hear four guys play great for two hours without huge video monitors, pyrotechics, and hired guns to make them sound similar to their records. It was a fun time for all. Also, apologies to the couple behind us in the photo- her face is screaming, "I know I'm in this picture and there's nothing I can do about it". Welcome to the blog both of you. Hasta logo.






There's a good article here about the band, if you're interested.

8 comments:

laura said...

No problem! I am always happy to bestow tickets on those who will most appreciate them. Glad you guys had fun.

And Matt, I agree with you about Ben Gibbard's voice. I remember being (pleasantly) surprised that he sounded exactly the same live, especially since he has such a distinctive voice.

It was a great show!

Rebecca Pierce said...

How fun! Sommer was just referring me to their music the other night, and I bought "I Will Follow You into the Dark" per her recommendation and I love it.

dastew said...

Death Cab is incredible. Right up there with The Decemberists and Fleeting Foxes for my "favorite band" vote. I'm insanely jealous of you guys. My question however is this...Matt, aren't you missing your obvious calling in life as a music critic? Yes I know I dropped out of my MA program when I was practically done and no one understood. But dude, you've got the ear and the talent...just saying.

Kaylinn said...

Oh Kendra-lovely to catch up on your life. I love blogs mostly because we can look back at time and remember that our lives are in fact Glamorous! Your life truely is glamorous! :) I'm a believer.

Ang said...

Sooooo jealous! Nice post, Matty.

Mandy said...

I am so jealous! I have always wanted to go to Radio City!

Nikki CB said...

This looks like it was awesome. Definitely a bit jealous, in the most happy for you guys way possible of course ;) cool post Matt about the concert.

Aubrey said...

Yep. Jealous.