Sunday, October 05, 2008

Writing Celebration

Everyday, Lexi's class has something they call Writer's Workshop. They take time to write and illustrate a story. They are encouraged to write their own words (gibberish or not) and also to tell their teachers about the story. On Friday, October 3 all the parents and family members & friends were invited to a writing celebration in their classroom. Each child had gathered all their stories from the first month of school and had *published* a book. They took turns standing in front of the class to read the title of their book and the dedication (Lexi dedicated her book to me!) and then a couple of their stories. It was a Spanish day and Lexi was able to say a few things, but she is obviously more comfortable speaking in English, so most of her presentation was in English. We weren't able to bring the book home (they are currently displayed in the hallway of school), so I snapped a picture of each and every story. I'll only post a few here.
(That's Ramon, the assistant teacher, and Cindy, the head teacher, with Lexi).


(This is when I was at a Pepsi Fest and I found a dandy lion that was so big.)


(I saw Ramon on the slide and I wanted to go on the monkey bars with Luciana.)



(Un sol brillante. Un poquito de luna y muchas flores.)


(We went to Costco on a Sunday and my daddy was smiling and Ella just laughed. My mom was holding Ella but then she decided she (Ella) was going to walk).
**We did NOT, in fact, go to Costco on a Sunday.**


(Aliens trying to get out of the water.)


(I have to draw lots of clouds, rain and umbrellas. I went to C-Town with my family. Here's the sidewalk. I made the sidewalk."


Then I noticed a bulletin board in the classroom with my Corduroy right in the center! The kids had all made their own little Corduroys and now have a whole board devoted to him. Cute!

1 comment:

Andria said...

This is very cool! I love to see little ones writing so young. So, hopefully, when they get into the grades I teach they don't think writing is "stupid."