Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Heart Will Go On....

Last week, my mother was approached by a co-worker of hers offering her two tickets to the Celine Dion concert in NYC at Madison Square Garden (her first time in NYC in 10 years!) Mom called me and asked if I wanted to go, and although I'm not a die-hard Celine fan, but I know and love many of her songs and heard she puts on a great show. So I was excited about the chance to see her. My mother forwarded me the email with the tickets and we looked up the venue map to locate our seats and were ecstatic when we realized we were on the floor. In the fourth row. It was awesome. I have never been that close at any concert I have ever been to (and the number of concerts I've been to can be numbered on 2 hands).


At one point in the middle of Because You Loved Me, Ms. Dion stopped and told us a story about a girl Charice that she had met through Oprah a few weeks before. Here's the story. Then, Ms. Dion told us Charice was there and invited her up on stage. Celine gave her some advice to get over the nerves ("Just pretend all these people are your family and that you are singing in your living room") to which the whole arena cheered. Then they dedicated the song to Charice's mother. Celine sang one line and then Charice took over and "blew the roof off of Madison Square Garden" (Celine's words). I took some video footage, but during most of the song they had their backs to us, so you can see better footage of the song here. Charice's voice is absolutely incredible. And it's even better in person.

Of course, what's a Celine Dion concert without that song from Titanic, My Heart Will Go On? She sang that has her final encore of the evening. Here's some footage of that, if you're interested.


Montel Williams was less than 20 feet from us. (That's his wife's head just above the "76" and he's on her right side).
And we saw her husband/manager as we were leaving the arena:

Thanks to the lady from Pepsi who gifted us the tickets! It was fabulous.

7 comments:

Rebecca Pierce said...

Wow. Those were some seriously swanky seats and a really great show. THat's so fun that you got to go for free...NO BRAINER!

I'd love to hear her show, though I don't know how much money I'd want to shell out for it. I've been to several shows with other people under similar circumstances and never been let down (okay, once I was...The Black Crowes show I saw last year was horrible)...Bette Midler was awesome, as was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young...two shows that I didn't pay to see, but LOVED.

Sariah said...

I'm with Rebecca! Seriously swanky seats and great show! LUCKY! How cool you got to spend the night with your mom too! Very cool.

irishkaren said...

I can tell my your photos you had fantastic seats, how fun!

Kaylinn said...

Oh heck Kendra--I've been dying to see Celine for..oh I don't know..MY WHOLE LIFE, and you get front row tickets? Your life is GLAMOROUS! I almost got tickets for Thanksgiving but then thought...who would I have to pay to go with me! Oh but it would be fabulous wouldn't it.

Jealous of your concert attendence. :)

Sheridan said...

Cool! And I'm a little jealous too! Your mom has some seriously great contacts! So glad you had a great time.

Kiwimommy said...

Ha - I love that you have better seats than Montel!

What a fantastic night you must have had, Kendra!!

Urban Tangerine said...

Montel came to our neighbor's for a Christmas party a couple of years ago. Can you imagine?! Montel right down the hall from us in our apartment building? And that was his girlfriend then.