Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Day of School!


Yesterday was Lexi's first day of school at P.S. 210. She's in the Pre-K class and was so excited about it that she couldn't even eat breakfast. She has to wear a uniform and seems to really like it. After school yesterday she didn't even want to take it off! It sure made for an easy back-to-school-shopping trip and will cut back on our daily debacles over what to wear!

Her school is a dual-language school, which means they speak, read & write in both English and Spanish. Ideally, the language used each day will alternate from English one day to Spanish the next. There is a whiteboard at the entrance of the school & one near the office that says 'Today we are speaking _____". I'm hoping Lexi will pick Spanish up quickly. It's been difficult for Matt & I to speak it at home, because it's just easier to speak English. But I'm looking forward to supporting her Spanish language learning and discovering our most beloved books in Spanish and so forth.

I've heard lots of good things about her teacher from some of our neighborhood playground friends, and the school seems extremely parent friendly and encourages our participation. Cindy (her teacher) said that I don't even need to tell her when I'm planning on coming to the class- I can just show-up. She also said there's no problem at all if I bring Ella along, which is great for me! Being welcome at the school was really important to me and one of the reasons we chose to go with a school close to home.

Another bonus! I don't have to pack a lunch for her- the school provides breakfast and lunch everyday for the kids (but we actually eat breakfast at home). I don't know if that is because our school (and home, incidentally) are in a lower income neighborhood, but I'm happy to have one less thing to worry about.

So far, so good. Tomorrow is her first full day. Full-day Pre-K, you ask?! I know! I was a little hesitant about putting her in this program, but if you know Lexi, you know she is a bright little girl and really needs and desires a challenge. And she doesn't stop. No really, she doesn't! I get exhausted just thinking about it. Plus, if she had been born only 24 hours earlier, she would have been in kindergarten this year, which is full day also. So, I actually think this is a very good situation for her.

4 comments:

Sheridan said...

Lexi looks so excited! She is super bright! I'm sure she will just thrive there!

The Wilsons said...

Exciting times! Hope that it is a fun and wonderful year for her.

Poor Kaylin is all excited about school but has only gotten to go to about a day and a half--she is sick...sort of. She has some form of pinkeye, for which we have drops (which means she's actually allowed to go back), but she also has enough of a cough and raspy voice that I think it would be alarming to her teacher to send her in. I guess we don't need to infect the whole class, even if it's a minor virus! So hard to have my brand-new, enthusiastic kindergartener home in the FIRST WEEK, though!!! Argh.

Sariah said...

So fun! I totally hear you on the cut offs! Both Caden and Gavin miss ours by 5 and 9 days! But hey, better to have them at the top of the class than starting out at the bottom!

Lexi is super cute in her school uniform. We have them too and it makes life so much easier in the morning picking out clothes for the day!

Nikki CB said...

WOW! I can't believe how much she has grown! I miss you guys like crazzzzy.

Love,
NCB