Hello, this is Matt for the first time. 4 years, 1 post. I'm prolific. A while back I was tagged (I have been desperately seeking this affirmation of popularity for months/years- but until now have never received it. I promise not to cry if you don't). The tag simplyasked what I was reading at present. There is a long story that makes this request funny but I will give the short version. Despite being the only third grader to now the concept of espionage (when tested for the gifted and talented program- I didn't get in) I had a reading ''problem" that required some attention. Fast forward 15 or so years: I am at BYU and practically failing out of school, so the academic office suggests getting tested. Result: (paraphrased) "you tested with the verbal IQ of a genius, you just read really slow. We don't know why. Try a speed reading class, take less courses and we'll see how you do."
In other words, reading is hard. I like reading new things but unless I have huge chunks of quiet time reading is totally ineffective for me. This more than likely explains my penchant for staying up way to late...no one can bother me then. It also drives Kendra crazy when I read over her shoulder and she has enough time to take a short nap before I catch up.
Anyway, lately I have been knocking out a few books at the same time, two of which I started a long time ago and finally finished. I think that is a habit of slow readers, helps us stay sane.
The first one took almost two years and two full California vacations: Michaelanglo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King. I really enjoyed this book but I have a feeling that hardcore historians would sneer at King from their pedestals of scholarly __________ (add your adjective here, I couldn't think of one). We take for granted that artists like Michaelanglo were craftsman, architects, designers, paint grinders and whatever else they needed to be to get the job done. Learning about the Popes of that generation helped me understand a little better how we have survived the vast majority of our presidents over the last 50 years.
The second book I read was the terrific graphic novel Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi. What a wonderful, heartwrenching, terrifying, and informative book this sparsely drawn biography is. Want to learn the short history of why modern day Iran is literally ready to explode, read this book and Persepolis II (the movie is also great). It is also a touching family memoir. Just don't give it too your 8 year old. I am hoping to read it this year with my sophomores and try to open some eyes.
Lastly, while reading Persepolis I finished Eclipse. Yes, that is right, I have now read the first three of the Stephanie Meyer Twilight series. What can I say, everyone needs a book now and then, that doesn't require a ton of thought...especially folks with slow readers syndrome. I admit, I like the angle at which she reinvents the mythology of vampires and werewolves. I just wish I didn't have to hear so much about Edward's body of stone, like a Greek statue (seriously did the editors not count how many times she uses the same statue reference and tell her to find something else), or his amber eyes (oooh), touseled hair (must fight nausea)...on and on. We get it, your writing for 17 old girls, but tone it down. I just hope the movies have more action.
Up next, Ambroise's study of Crazy Horse and Custer. That one will probably take two more years, so until then tag me about music...
2 comments:
bravo, matt. i asked mikel to answer a tag...it was funny to see the contrast in our answers. i had to explain myself and he answered a few with 1 word.
i hear you loud and clear about the slow-reading gene...i have it too. and i fight it too. haven't read what you have...but i'm gonna read twilight soon. :) i'm sure i'll be reminded of your dislike of her descriptions when i do finally get to it and laugh!
your description about the one on iran has made me curious too...i'll have to look it up after twilight. :)
cuidaos!
I have to admit, Eclipse is probably my favorite of the four, with Twilight a very close second. Breaking Dawn...well, I don't like to think about it. I was so disappointed.
But I think Stephenie Meyer is something of a genius because she can get my students who have never read a book in their middle school or high school lives to read all of her books in no time flat. Girls and boys.
Post a Comment