
And I love this one because it's proof of Lexi's experiences in West Harlem, New York City. We won't be living here forever (at least, I hope not), so it's nice to have a photo memento. Can you pick out Lexi? It should be easy... she's the only little white girl!

Just a couple of things I'd like to document here about her time at this preschool. That boy standing right behind her, the one with the striped tie, that's Richard Amir. He has such a serious crush on Alexis. His mom told me about it a few weeks ago and says she is just amazed at how much he likes her! I talked to Alexis a little bit about him one morning not too long ago and she told me that he always wants to sit by her, but she doesn't want to sit by him sometimes. He always wants to talk to her, too. But these things only happen during classtime, I guess, because whenever we see him at drop-off time, as soon as he spots us, he hides behind his mother, or puts his head in his father's shirt. It's really quite funny. Is this what *puppy love* is like?
The other thing I want to jot down is how oblivious Alexis is to race. She is the only white girl in her class, but it doesn't even phase her. She will play with anyone. And if she doesn't like someone, it's because she genuinely does not click with their personality, or doesn't want to play what they want to play. And their skin color is simply that- a way to describe them ("My teacher Mr. Valdez is the one with the brown skin.") and not in any way an indication or influence on them as a person. I love this about her. And I hope she will always feel that way about people. That we are people first, we just look different. This is not an attitude that is felt by everyone in this neighborhood (like the people who put up signs with the headline, WHITE PEOPLE: READ THIS!). But it is an attitude that I hope she will keep through her life.
No comments:
Post a Comment