Friday, December 19, 2008

Bela Fleck & the Addams


On Dec 19th, we were able to spend the evening with Lee & Emma to celebrate Lee's birthday. We went to see Bela Fleck and the Flecktones at the Blue Note Jazz Club. The music was great and the company was fabulous! Happy Birthday, Lee! Thanks for thinking of spending it with us!

As with all reports musical, I here defer to Matt for a critique of the performance.

A long time ago the best place to find live music on TV, outside of Austin City Limits and the late night shows, was TNN- The Nashville Network. Somewhere along the line it was converted to a middle of the road cable station when CMT cut into its business. TNN was really dedicated to country music and not just the mainstream. They often profiled the session players and songwriters who really make Nashville go. TNN brought my attention to the likes of Allison Krauss, Ricky Scaggs, Chet Atkins, Lyle Lovett, Danny Gatton, Mark O'Conner, Vince Gill, Jerry Douglas, all the old guard country musicians, and a bunch of forgettable country musicians as well. The best of the shows were Live at the Ryman and another show that I think was called Crossroads (maybe a predecessor of CMT's Crossroads). If you really wanted to find fringe country, folk, singer-songwriter artists this was the show. On this show I discovered Shawn Colvin, saw The Band for the first time (sans Robbie Robertson of course), and became acquainted with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. All I really remember from that performance was watching a dude in a pirate hat play some synthesized drum guitar (he is still in the band with the drum guitar) and a banjo player with the audacity to play music like no one else. I thought these guys were nuts. Great but nuts. Looking back I am amazed these guys got on TV because they were so flat out different.

Catching them live was a wonderful experience. It is not a usual event for me to catch world class musicians play 20 feet in front of me for close to two hours. And because the Blue Note is one of the cities most venerated Jazz clubs everyone there knew when to be quiet and when to make some noise. Very respectful. What a treat to hear Bela and a surprising treat to hear the bassist Victor Wooten. I had seen him in my Guitar Player magizine and heard him profiled on public radio (go NPR and WFUV) but had no idea I would see him play live with Bela. What a treat. To put the whole thing in perspective; I am not a big fan of Christmas music but I loved hearing them play Christmas music. Take some time and check out Bela and the Flecktones. It definitely won't be boring. And hey, they seem to be nice guys. They took a lot of time to sign merchandise and chat after playing two full sets. Very fun. Thanks Emma and Lee. Love you guys (and not just for this).



We headed up to the gift shop after the show and got up close & personal with the band.

Lee, here you are with Victor Wooten right behind you- he practically has his head on your shoulder.

1 comment:

dastew said...

Shawn Colvin is country? Never would have made that grouping.