I was so glad to see the first day of school arrive this year. It was a challenging summer in that because I had a new baby, I didn't really want to go anywhere or do anything. But staying home in our spacious 700 square feet with 2 very active children was enough to make me batty and restless, so I had to muster the energy to take them to the park at the very least. The siren call of suburbia has gotten louder for me. I really love living in NYC, but, oh, to have a backyard or a basement to send the kids to play while I can remain on the couch with the baby! That would be divine.
So anyway, the first day of school arrived. Alexis was really looking to going back to school. She hasn't seen any of her friends this summer and she generally loves school. The first day was rainy, but we still snapped a photo. Reluctantly, as you can maybe tell.
The second day of school was Ella's fist day of Pre-K. She was so excited to be starting, and to have a uniform like her big sister, though their shirts are different colors. Alexis posed for another photo with Ella. Alexis's bus came very late the first day. So late, in fact, that we didn't wait for it because we didn't want to be late. Caleb, Ella & I took Alexis ourselves to school (on the city bus). When we arrived, many of her friends ran up to her and gave her big hugs and shouted the wonderful news that "Ms. Russo is teaching second grade!" Turns out her first grade teacher is moving up with them to second grade. Alexis was over the moon about it. Ms. Russo walks on water in her eyes. And we were very pleased with Alexis' progress last year and feel that Ms. Russo is a wonderful, dedicated teacher who thinks about her kids even when she's not with them. So we're happy, too.
And here's the new Pre-K student! The teachers spent quite some time telling us about the curriculum that they follow. Call me crazy, but I don't really care. A curriculum in Pre-K? I pretty much tuned out while they were talking about it, except I did catch how they focus on 2 colors at a time. And 2 shapes at a time. And that they teach the kids how to hold a writing utensil, but they start with markers and fat crayons because those are easier for little hands to manipulate. (Ahem, excuse me while a brag a moment). Ella has been writing her own name, with a pencil or pen, since before she was 3. She knows all the letters and can write most of them and knows what sounds they make. She can count to twenty. She knows all the colors of the rainbow, in order, including indigo. She knows lots of shapes. She is a second child, so I know she was exposed to all this information at a very young age because of her older sister, but still. I hope she's not bored in Pre-K! I just wanted some playtime for her away from home with kids her age in a safe environment. Despite all that, I don't actually think she'll be bored- she seems to be having a great time. At this age, I think all you need a positive school experience and she seems to be getting that.
3 comments:
i love your blog! i love that you get out and explore with your cute kids. you are an awesome mom! ...and as you know...the whole "new baby-hard to get out" time will pass... and he'll love exploring too! i remember going to palmyra when i was about 8. it's a goal of ours to take the kids there someday too. LOVE it!
te quiero, hermana! besos!
Love the photo of Ella. She looks so sweet.
I kind of don't want to believe that Lexi is in the 2nd grade and that Ella is Pre-K. They are getting so big, but still so adorable. I miss your family!
Post a Comment