I wish I could take really artistic & beautiful photos, but I can't. I wish I was a creative writer, but I'm not. Instead, I take my kids all over the city (& sometimes the country, too!) to experience the wonders of life. And then I slap up some point-and-shoot pictures & tell you plainly about it.
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Neon Trees on Jimmy Fallon
If you frequent our blog, you may already know that we are avid fans of a fairly new-to-the-national-music-scene band called Neon Trees. We have been friends with the bass player, Branden, and his wife for 10 years or so. They were some of our first friends when we were newlyweds. Emilie even co-hosted a baby shower for me when I was expecting Alexis. Anyway, they come to NYC frequently to perform, and Matt was able to hang out with the band backstage at the Jimmy Fallon Show recently and the next night we enjoyed their show at Webster Hall. He had a lot of fun that afternoon. I'll defer to Matt for more details....
This weekend Branden again allowed the Cope's to enter the realm of the super-cool. It was a lot of fun to step behind the Wizard's curtain for a couple of hours and see the back stage goings on at the Fallon show. It was fun seeing Donald Trump from down the hall, seeing people in costume, going to hair and makeup, etc. More than anything it was just interesting how much the backstage just looked like any other office building (just more celebrities and clothes on racks). As can be seen the pictures aren't great. I didn't even use the flash because I just wanted to stay off the radar (this is their job after all and I know I hate being bothered at work). Branden as always was very gracious and hung out as much as he could. It was interesting to meet the management and financial team and get a chance talk to the other band members (apologies again for all my questions about your guitar gear and thank you all for being so gracious as always). We were all backstage until NT played, when we got to go stand behind he audience and hear the performance. They sounded great. After the show we were able to run into Jimmy Fallon. He was super nice and gracious. At the time Fallon was on the cover of Rolling Stone with the subtitle: "Can anyone really be this nice?" Yes, apparently they can. Despite this I was too chicken to get a picture. Sorry blog readers
Branden also invited us to see their show at Webster Hall. The first time we saw them play was in the basement of Webster Hall (better known as The Studio). This time they were playing for a sold out crowd of 1,400+ record execs, press, management, friends, etc). B-dog hooked us up and we were able to go into the VIP section. The show was great. They sounded better then I had ever heard them. Even the VIP's were standing during the show. I personally stood on a chair and hung onto a pole for an hour just to get a good view from the balcony section. I loved it.
On a more personal note, I was asked by one of the finance team what I thought of all of this since I knew Branden before he hit MTV. I basically said that I was happy for them and proud of them (I say them because Emilie and the family are equally as important) but it doesn't change how I feel about them. If B-Dog and the family had a couple hours at the airport to hang out I would be there. All access passes are awesome but having ten minutes just to talk with Branden is way better. They were awesome before, they are just publicly awesome now. Thanks again Branden. Here's to your continued success. We love you.
Here they are performing their latest release: 1983 (Branden's the one on the right with the sunglasses)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
you two are so cool!!! they're good.
Post a Comment