We're so happy you were born!

Ella waited so patiently all day to put the candles in the cake, probably hoping to be able to blow them out herself (as she tries to do in this video).
Ella helped me make the cake and frosting. The frosting is a family recipe that has been passed down for 4 generations now. The base is unsweetened chocolate. After we had melted the chocolate with the butter and shortening, but before we had added the sugar, a little splashed out onto the counter. Ella, being the chocolate-lover she is, wiped it with her finger and stuck it right in her mouth. If you've ever had the unfortunate disappointment of tasting unsweetened chocolate you'll know it is AWFUL. She was mortified and confused. I wish I had a photo of her face. She washed it down with some milk and water and then helped me finish up adding the sugar & vanilla at which point I offered the spoon to her to lick. She adamantly refused. I didn't want her to leave this cake-making experience afraid to ever eat frosting again, so I tried unsuccessfully to convince her to take a taste. "No! No! No!" We ended up, literally, in a wrestling match on the floor as I tried to just get a small amount past her hands and clamped lips into her mouth. Somehow I eventually won (although I feel guilty for making her so upset) and she happily licked the rest of the spoon clean. And when it came time for cake, she ate ONLY the frosting.
1 comment:
haha!!! a wrestling match over chocolate frosting!! haha!! that's awesome! i'm sure she's not upset anymore! :) i can't tell you how many times Bryce, our 4 yr old, has said he "hates" some type of food. once we manipulate (be it bribing or other means) him into trying it, lots of times he likes it enough to ask for more. kids!! why don't they trust us!? maybe cuz I really do think onions are yummy now! which he knows is just plain craziness! :) happy birthday to your cute mom!
Post a Comment