I wish I could take really artistic & beautiful photos, but I can't. I wish I was a creative writer, but I'm not. Instead, I take my kids all over the city (& sometimes the country, too!) to experience the wonders of life. And then I slap up some point-and-shoot pictures & tell you plainly about it.
Monday, February 16, 2009
The USS Intrepid
Every February, the public schools get a week off. Legend has it that years ago when it cost so much money to heat the building, the Department of Education decided to close the schools for a week in the middle of the winter in order to save on heating costs. Whatever the reason, it's always nice to have Matt & Alexis home with us! On the first day of the break we went with Aunt Allie to explore the USS Intrepid.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum has welcomed more than 10 million visitors. The Museum is centered on the aircraft carrier Intrepid (CVS-11), one of the most successful ships in US history, and now a national historic landmark and one of the most unique attractions in New York City. In 1943, Intrepid was commissioned and served proudly in World War II. She went on to serve as one of the primary recovery vessels for NASA, three tours of duty off Vietnam, and submarine surveillance in the North Atlantic during the Cold War.
It was recently refurbished and they were having Kids Week with extra exciting activities- including a puppet show, face painting, crafts and a visit from Mr. Met (although we only saw him walk by).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment