Monday, February 09, 2009

Unfortunate Incident

So, last week we had an unfortunate incident. I discovered bedbugs in our sheets as I was throwing them in the laundry. Which, in a nutshell, meant we had to wash & dry everything. We also had to throw out our mattress & bed frame and some of our pillows. We cleaned out our bedroom and vacuumed and washed the floor. It seems that the *outbreak* was pretty small and well contained to just our bedroom, so that's good (knock on wood). Anyway, we're on an air mattress now, but are in the market for a new bed. Our budget is very small (about $500 if possible- thank goodness this happened at tax refund time!).

We're considering this mattress from Costco. But since that's just a top mattress, we'd need to also purchase box springs & a frame, or a platform bed. I'm leaning towards a platform bed, though, because I like the idea of not having box springs. And we think we'll stick with a queen size.

Can you tell me about your experience with a platform bed or that mattress? Do you have any other advice?

7 comments:

just jen said...

ooohhh!

i remember our piso had those in spain, but back then we just dealt with us...lazy missionaries!

i don't have any advice, but just make sure you get a good a mattress...they last forever if you get the right one.

and avoid bedbugs!

Christina said...

We got a platform bed and I LOVE it. If you're not planning to be in the city forever, I'd also consider a king - it is heaven.

Tigerlillie said...

try overstock.com the delivery is way cheap and the prices are good.

Rebecca Pierce said...

Wow, Tigerlillie was on the same page as me...Overstock.com is where we got a beautiful bed for $250, and the shipping was like $3. I would actually go to goodwill or somewhere that sells new, cheap matresses. I wouldn't buy a fancy mattress, I'd go to Costco (or overstock) and purchase a 3 or 4 inch memory foam mattress topper ($150ish). We literally had the cheapest mattress on earth and used it ten years. Then we got a new one and put the old one in the guest room with a topper and it is the most comfortable mattress in the house. We since bought toppers for our new mattress to make it super comfy too. Anyway, you can definitely do something cheap...good luck!

Marci said...

So sorry to hear about the bedbugs! Anne dealt with them and she had to pack up everything in the apartment in plastic bags, wash all the clothing, have the apartment fumigated, and was still worried the little buggers weren't dead. what a horrible bug!

The Colbys... written by Erin said...

Hi there!! just found your blog from Andrea Boerem's list of blogs... it caught my eye because apparently we copied your name!! I never knew! I also found out tonight, as I found Andrea's blog, that her and I have the same blog background!! I feel really unoriginal tonight:) Just thought I'd put that out there! Running friday?

Joan Cope said...

Waiting for an update on the mattress and possibly picture of the transformation.
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Love, Grandma C