Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Run For The Wild

For a few years I've been wanting to run in a 5K race at the Bronx Zoo, but for various reasons haven't been able to.  This year the stars aligned and I was able to run the 5K with my sister Allie by my side.  It is a fundraising fun run and I raised almost $300 thanks to some very generous friends and family.  Allie raised over $600.  All that money goes to the Wildlife Conservation Society and specifically to helping preserve the lions in Africa whose population numbers have decreased by 80%.  It was a pretty chilly morning, but the atmosphere was festive and there were more than 5000 people there.  The course zig-zagged through the zoo- we ran past deer and zebras and giraffes and birds and bears and monkeys and sea lions.  It was a lot of fun.  Allie ran her stopwatch and recorded our run time as 31:02.  Which is the fastest I have run 3.1 miles.  It was exhilarating and unbelievable and validating.  Now if only the post-baby weight would respond to my exercise regimen. 

We stuck around for a couple of hours after and saw some more animals.  And ate a bunch of energizing food.  And got some free stuff.  It was a wonderful event!

And now, the photos....























No comments: