Monday, July 21, 2008

My First Race




On Saturday I ran in my first 5K race (that's 3.1 miles). I have been running now for about 3 months and hoped to be able to run the whole thing, but ended up walking for a small portion. I finished in under 34 minutes, which I was happy about (my mile average being just under 11 minutes which is better than when I ran a mile in gym class in Junior High, so I was thrilled about that). I am starting to really enjoy running. I'll find another 5K (maybe in October) and aim to run that one without stopping, for sure.

This one was so much fun! There were over 600 people there to race:

including Larry the Lighthouse (the mascot for the New Jersey Marathon):


The race was at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey (a small regional/business airport). We got to run on the runway, which was really exciting, and there was even a pace plane leading the racers:

It was HOT & the clouds had dispersed by the time the race got under way. I had the company of 6 other women from my ward which made it really fun, also.
Carol, Celeste, me, Kelli, Jessica, Miggy & Emily
July 18, 2008

8 comments:

The Wilsons said...

Way to go, you!!! I am SO impressed; I can't run worth beans. I really should TRY to enjoy it...

vdg family said...

Amazing job! You really have my respect--of course, you have always had my respect. Thanks so much for the 3rd and bird thing. It was great to see you!
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Nice job! You and all the girls look terrific!

just jen said...

you are AMAZING!

i would never do that, never.

so, i am impressed. way to go!

Reagan said...

I want to do this next year! it's so awesome!

Michal Thompson said...

Kendra I am so proud of you! Way to go. That is a great time for you first 5k and I mean it! Way to go on making and keeping goals! I still haven't ran anything yet!

Rebecca Pierce said...

I'm so happy for you! Way to go. I remember my time being 13 minutes in jr. high and people saying how they could walk a mile in 13 minutes. I have always hated distance running, but I wish I didn't. Good for you!

Krazy Khania said...

Congrats!! Keep up the fun run.