I wish I could take really artistic & beautiful photos, but I can't. I wish I was a creative writer, but I'm not. Instead, I take my kids all over the city (& sometimes the country, too!) to experience the wonders of life. And then I slap up some point-and-shoot pictures & tell you plainly about it.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Sheep to Shawl Festival
The final event in our Spring Break week was our visit to Philipsburg Manor to attend the Sheep to Shawl Festival. We watched sheep dogs herd the sheep, men shear the sheep the way they would have in the 18th century, and we got to help clean and spin the wool. We watched them dye the wool and even some knitting (all with double-pointed needles- single pointed needles were not even around yet). We also saw them spin flax, which is much stronger than wool, so was typically used for thread. For a crafter like me, it was all really fascinating. They had a great story teller also, who had Lexi mesmerized with his rendition of RUMPLESTILTSKIN (appropriate for this festical since a spinning wheel plays a prominent part). The Manor house renovations were complete, so we were able to tour that as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
how cool! i would love to take the kids to something like this! even when i find out about something cool and local lots of times i get overwhelmed with 3 though....or one inevitably get sick or something. hopefully this summer will be different! i love checking your blog cuz you actually update it frequently, i just forget sometimes, cuz your not on my link list cuz i don't know if it will make your blog public domain and i don't want to do that to you...so, i'll just keep checking every so often and gets lots of fun stuff to read! :) i love goatees (sp) too! (mikel has the same problem.) your daughters are adorable! the pretzels look yummy and i'm impressed with the running adventures. i personally listen to guns n roses or metallica or c&c music factory. old school, but that's what i listen to sometimes...oh! there's one a little less old...called magalehna from the movie dance with me. LOVE IT! it totally makes me want to move! k, long enough comment!
besos!
Post a Comment