Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Did You See Me??

If you didn't, I'll be on the May 23rd show also. But here's the link to the April 22nd show.



It was SO. MUCH. FUN. We got there nice and early (like 7:45 am) and stood in line for about 45 minutes. We were numbers 19 & 20 in line! They then usher you in to a holding room where they had water bottles and muffins set up for us as well as a little basket full of lotion samples for us to take. Oh! And there was a coat check, which I thought was nice. Guess they don't want you're big, lumpy coat accidentally making it on camera. We sat in this room until all guests were inside. We watched some old show clips, and had to fill out a couple of forms- one was a release form just in case they get you on camera and choose to use your image in various Martha-related media. The other was an "Ask Martha" form where you write down any questions you might have and want to ask on camera. I wrote some question about how to start a recycling program in my building (yes, I realize it's city law to recycle, but my building does not currently have a system in place for this, even though my landlord has received citations). They liked my question, so they *starred* my ticket. So at this point I'm thinking that they choose a few questions, prep Martha on the answers and then tell us who will actually get to ask their questions. Well, due to the *star* on my ticket, we got to sit in the front row. There were 3 rows on the floor, but we were in the first row in the boxed audience area. Right in the middle. Prime location. Oh, and did I mention that my mother called in sick to work? And that her boss usually works out in the company fitness center during her lunch break? And that the Martha Show is usually on one of the monitors while said boss is in said fitness center? So we thought for sure she'd get caught, being in the front row and seeing as I'm going to ask Martha a question and get on camera and all. During the audience "warm-up" we are told that they will be filming for 3 shows that day. The Earth Day show (which aired the same day) and was filmed in full with no breaks (except for commercials), the Memorial Day Show (which will air May 23 and is largely video-taped segments, but we were the audience for the intros to the videos), and a portion of another show (whose date I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure it already happened). So we got all the audience gifts for 2 shows! It's exciting to get free stuff!

When the "Ask Martha" segment came on, it kind of took me by surprise because all of the sudden she says, "And now it's time for one of my favorite parts of the show where audience members can ask me a question. So, if you have a question, raise your hand...." and then some women off to the side raised their hands and the stage manager took the mike to them and stayed in their section for all the questions. Oh well. Better luck next time. Now I know to shoot my hand up right away.

After the show, we got some grub at Chipotle and then headed to Mood Fabrics (of Project Runway fame) to pick up some fabric for a dress my mother is planning to make. This place is awesome- so much fabric! A sewer's mecca.

Matt played stay-at-home dad so I could have a wonderful day with my mom. The only thing that would have made it better was if Joan had been with us. Oh, and my mom's boss did NOT see her. So she didn't get in trouble. Hooray!

The gifts we got? You have to watch the show to find out! Just Kidding. We got some towels from Martha's line at Macy's, a gardening catalog & discount, a couple of canvas tote bags, an aluminum water bottle (because apparently those plastic reusable ones like Nalgene that have a #7 in the little recycle symbol on the bottom are NOT good for you b/c they leach plastic & other junk into your water), this coffee table book, a little parade flag & a porch flag kit.

6 comments:

just jen said...

but you didn't say what your free gifts were...i need to know!!

i am so jealous that you got to see martha and get free stuff. i went to dr. phil and didn't get anything...sigh.

Kendra Leigh said...

I just updated the post with all the gift information... Sorry Dr. Phil didn't pull through for you!

Krazy Khania said...

I wish i could have done that! But I have gone to Oprah.

Tamara said...

I am glad that you had such a great time, I hoping to go to a show before we leave.

Rebecca Pierce said...

What a fun day! You are the envy of all women! I'll have to refer to this if I ever get lucky enough to visit the set of a show! Cool!

M said...

Ah I'm jealous. Though I think we'd probably try to do the Colbert Report or something. But I would have hit Martha Stewart with you in a NYC minute!