Friday, November 09, 2007

Stark Contrast

Alexis needed a couple more pairs of pants, so last night we went down to Old Navy on 125th Street and then decided to head over to one of our favorite pizza places on 110th. After we ordered, Matt pulled out the debit card to pay only to be told they no longer take credit cards- cash only. We were surprised since every time we've gone, we have paid with a card. We decided to eat first and then Matt was going to go the several blocks to our bank to get some cash. After we had all settled into our booth, a woman came over and gave us $20 insisting on paying for our dinner. She said, "It's so cold outside. Just take it. No problem!" We were stunned. We tried to refuse since we have no way of knowing who she is and paying her back. But she was so so so insistent. Maybe she took pity on us since we had 2 adorable kids and seemed to be in an inconvenient situation? Amazing moments like this (and this one with the cab driver) are just a few of the reasons we love New Yorkers and the city we all live in together. They definitely outweigh the very bad experiences.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not write a letter to the editor of the NYTimes or some other NYC newspaper about those two positive experiences in the Big Apple?

just jen said...

that is so sweet...people really are big hearted.

Christina said...

What goes around comes around Kendra! Nice payback for all the nice things you do for people!

Lola said...

Life in the city isn't so bad, is it?

By the way, your girls are gorgeous! Alexis has your eyes.

-Annie

Rebecca Pierce said...

I don't know. With what you write about living there I have to say that it seems you live in a different world than I do! I'm glad you are cut out for it! I'd like to think I am, but I am scared off by your experienes.

Kendra Leigh said...

Jamocita: You used to live this way, too, you know... just not with little kids. You could do it. You're one of the strongest women I know.