Friday, June 02, 2006

Who Says New Yorkers Are Rude?

A short anecdote proving that New Yorkers are not all mean-spirited people:

When Lexi and I go to swimming class, we have to take one bus south on Amsterdam Ave and then transfer to a west-bound bus on 145th Street. This requires crossing the street twice as the bus stops are located on opposite corners of the intersection (diagonally across). Yesterday, as we got off the first bus I noticed the second bus was already at the stop. If we miss it, we end up waiting and waiting and waiting, so I swooped Lexi up in my arms and made a dash for it, precariously crossing the busy streets as soon as traffic was clear. We got to the door of the bus just as it began pulling away, when I got daring and stepped up to the door of the moving bus to signal the driver. He pointed to the bus behind him (which I hadn't noticed) and motioned that I get on that one as it hadn't made a stop yet. However, since it was the same busline & didn't have to make a drop-off, he assumed no one needed picking up at that stop and also drove right by me, even though I was running alongside with a small child in arms banging on his door. A cab driver must have witnessed the whole thing, because he pulled up and told me he would take me where I needed to go. I told him I didn't have any money (which was the honest truth) and he insisted it was fine. And so, we got a free ride to our destination from an oh-so-kind cab driver! Only in New York!