Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Land of the Free

Even though we moved to the city after we were married, I have always wanted to sneak into some of the singles activities (with Matt, of course) because they sound FUN. Seems like the family wards don't organize activities where you get to GO and DO something in the city. So, I've been jealous of the fun activities the singles get to do. But, NOW, Matt is serving in the bishopric of one of the Singles Wards here, so we get to go to the activities if we want to! Yea! (Plus, we get the bonus of help in corralling the kiddies. Thanks, friends!) Yesterday was one of those days.

First we took the ferry out to Liberty Island to walk around and admire the Statue of Liberty.



Then we went over to Ellis Island to enjoy the great museum exhibits they have there. Really poignant and interesting. I feel so many emotions for those immigrants who came to America with so few items and so much hope. I want to know each person's story- where did they come from, why did they come here, and how did life turn out for them? Was it all they had hoped for? More? Less? I'd have to double check with my grandmother, but I don't believe my maternal family actually came through Ellis Island. I'm pretty sure they came to New York before Ellis Island's *hey day*. But they were among the Irish and German immigrants that built this city. And I'm proud to say that.



But I'm pretty sure the funnest part of the day for Lexi was terrorizing the seagulls and pigeons on the lawn at Ellis Island. That's Manhattan in the background, sadly, without the World Trade Center. We were painfully aware of how the area remains a target as we had to essentially go through the equivalent of airport security BEFORE boarding the ferry.

6 comments:

Christina said...

So true! It would be fun to go do things in the city with other families even though it is harder with kids.

dastew said...

Haha, Matt's in a bishopric. (Says the man struggling not to strangle his young men)

Kendra Leigh said...

CE: You're right. I guess logistically, activities out and about with the whole primary in tow could get a little out of hand, eh?

SF: Maybe your young men will end up in our singles ward?!

Eddie said...

Matt in a bishopric ... that's awesome. I'm sure he'll do a great job. He knows how to read people.
Just make sure you make every single man ask one sister out at least every two weeks. Get 'em to put down the cold slice of pizza and turn their xboxes off and go on a date.

dastew said...

You assume that they'll get out of high school and actually leave upstate new york. People up here don't move down to the City. I mean the city is a liberal haven of gay drung using gun toting communists that would shoot you as soon as they here you say coffee without the Queens nasal.

Kaylinn said...

I finally found you! :) I've seen your comments on Dad's, Tessa, and my blog and for some reason your blog wouldn't pull up. But now I've found you and I can keep up with your life~ like we're family! :)