Saturday, June 02, 2012

The Sandbox Project

The sandbox at our local park has been empty for a long long time- over a year at least.  Many parents have expressed an interest in refilling it, but the park department budget does not cover new sand (that's my understanding, anyway).  Most parks in the city have non-profit organizations that raise money for things like this.  So, after some calls, I took on the responsibility of organizing the effort.  A generous donor gave us the money for this filling and so I ordered the sand and arranged for delivery and several families came out to help us fill the sandbox.  It was a successful venture and the kids have been enjoying the sand every day. 








You can see more photos from the day at the Friends of J. Hood Wright website. Hopefully we'll be able to get a "Donate" button on the site so you can donate to the funds for future refillings of the sand.  We're still working out the logistics of that.

2 comments:

LMT said...

so cool, Kendra! I say thank you even though we're not there to enjoy it. What a cool think to take on. You are the best! ... and thanks a lot for making me miss you, the park and NYC in general.

sonya d said...

Wow! That's awesome, Kendra. I love sand, too. I had a sandbox in my office and the kids loved it (when I worked in Manhattan).