Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Food Glorious Food



I did not plan on starting Ella on solid foods until close to Thanksgiving. I started Lexi around 4 months, and looking back, I don't think she was really quite ready at the time. However, the past couple of weeks, Ella's eyes have been carefully following food to our mouths, she has reached 15 pounds, she can sit up fairly well in her high chair, and her sleep periods at night have gotten a little shorter. When we visited the pediatrician last week, she said, "Oh, she's definitely ready to try some solids." So today, we bought some rice cereal for her. At dinner, I had Ella on my lap for a little while and was kind of teasing her with a biscuit- just touching her lip with it to see if she would open her mouth. She did! And when I pulled the biscuit away, she started crying. This from a kid who doesn't really cry very much. So, we popped her in the high chair, mixed up some cereal and gave spoon feeding a try... as the saying goes, "She ate it up!" Looks like we're moving into the world of solids.

**Oh, and in case you noticed the splint on my left hand... it's to minimize my use of my left thumb- it was injured in "the incident". It's on the mend and I'll hopefully be able to rid myself of the splint in another week and a half or so. The girl is facing 5-25 years, though, now that I have a documented injury.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Priceless! :) Hard to believe that's the first time she has eaten from a spoon. Well done.

Jessica said...

wow! she did so great... what a big girl!

M said...

Right around six months (which was really four months for him) Seth starting eyeballing everything I was eating, so on a whim I bought and gave him some rice cereal which he gobbled up just like Ella. N8 said, "Shouldn't we be taking a picture of this or something?" since we had so carefully chronicled the first time we fed Thomas solids, right on his six month anniversary. Weird that kids are so different--and it's probably good for the second ones what we're looser about where and when we do things. I just don't even read those baby books anymore. I can't stand the self-righteous finger-waggling of all those "experts"! Viva la feeding them whenever they actually seem ready!