Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mommy's Ant


Last month I was diagnosed with a small patch of BASAL CELL CARCINOMA (aka. skin cancer) on my forehead. It was a lesion that would not heal for months and months, so finally I went to the dermatologist, who did a biopsy and confirmed the cancer diagnosis. I was assured it is the *best* kind of cancer to have- it won't spread to other parts of your body and will not affect your health etc. The treatment included MOHS SURGERY and, since it was on my face, a visit to the plastic surgeon to close up the wound. The surgery was on Thursday, took 2 rounds of MOHS to extract all the cancer cells, and then about an hour for the plastic surgeon to do the suturing- our best estimate is about 16 stitches. Lexi calls them my "ant." In this photo, can you sort of see the likeness to an ant with all it's many legs?!?! Recovery is going well- better than I expected, actually.

6 comments:

Miggy said...

Yay--glad to hear went well! Good luck with the rest of recovery.

dastew said...

I thought blogs were only supposed to be used for silly news, pictures of children, and political opinions. I don't like hearing about my friends having cancer! No matter how "easy" it is to fix. I'm too young for that. :D

Seriously though we're glad the procedure went well, hopefully the recovery will be quick and painless.

Kendra Leigh said...

Had the stitches removed yesterday and Doc says everything looks great. Will take about 4-6 weeks to fully heal, and then who knows how long for the inch-long scar to acceptably fade????

e said...

kendra--
wow! It's been a while. blogging is fun for reconnecting. I wonder how you found me?
so, had to stop by your blog after you came by mine! :)
alexis is darling and it's fun to see all your adventures in NY. It makes me miss home!
glad you are recovering-- but any kind of cancer sounds no good. stay healthy!
-elizabeth (garff) harris

Kendra Leigh said...

Elizabeth!
Found you through Celeste Ricks, who I found through Elizabeth, who I found through a mutual friend in my ward here... it's a small world after all!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear what you have gone through. It seems like are some other alternative ways of treating skin cancer. Found some informative slides you can have a look at.

Click on the link page below for more information..
http://www.filmloop.com/cgi-bin/bv/bv.py?ticket=/XkWHS/3YcBtiZn7jjg9qj4yM2h7Ws15&flash=1&extAds=1&px=FL