Sunday, October 01, 2006

152 Avenue C New York, NY

I recently started attending the Family History class during Sunday School at church. Both of my grandmothers have done substantial work on family history, leaving me unsure where I could spend my effort. After looking at the family tree I was given, I realized that my maternal grandfather's line has some work to do. I have begun trying to find my great-great-great grandparents (parents of Catharine Dodd Elliott). While researching Catharine & her husband, Brett Elliott, I found them on the 1880 census in New York City. I know that I have a lot of family history here as my mother's ancestors all settled here after immigrating from Ireland & Germany. Anyway, I got their address from the census and we took at trip down to the Lower East Side to see if the building was still there. Unfortunately, it was not. It has since been replaced by a community garden, but I took a picture of buildings across the street as I imagine they are similar in style. The Elliotts were part of the large Irish population that lived in the tenement buildings. I hope to take a walking tour of Irish New York on the Lower East Side, too, to learn more about what life was like for them. Posted by Picasa