Monday, September 11, 2006

5 Years


Today we visited a flag memorial in Inwood Hill Park (on the northern tip of Manhattan) dedicated to the victims of the 9/11 attacks. 3000 flags were set up in a large field- one for each life lost. It was a breezy and beautiful day, probably much like the day in 2001. A touching memorial.

Part of me wishes we had been here in 2001, because I think that no one can really understand what the city went through in the days and weeks following without having actually lived here at that time. I want to know how people felt, how they coped, and how they continued to live their lives. At the same time, I am so grateful that I wasn't here, and that no one I love was directly impacted.

Some video footage of the memorial can be seen here.
 Posted by Picasa