Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Subway Adventures

Today we went downtown to play at the Toys R Us in Times Square. On the way home, we met up with Grandma Susan who had been to a job interview in the area and rode the subway home with her. When we first boarded the train, we sat next to a man with a guitar. After a stop or 2, he pulled out his guitar for Lexi to see and proceeded to serenade her. He wrote a song on the spot with lyrics along the lines of "I'm just a baby in my stroller eating my pretzals & grapes" etc. Then he broke into a version of Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" altering the lyrics to something like "Pretty baby, sitting in your stroller..." As if that weren't enough attention for all the afternoon commuters, a roaming artist sat down across the car from us and began sketching a picture of me & Lexi. He asked what stop we were going to so he could have it done in time. In the past, I have seen people do this and hope for a tip from whoever they are drawing. I was a bit hesitant to "pay" for a sketch that was unsolicited and didn't even look like us, but figured at least he is trying to "work" for his money instead of just asking for it, so I gave him $2. Some days I love the subway, and some days it just can't get me home fast enough.

No comments: